The top ten reasons you should head to the Dickens Festival in Garrison, North Dakota this weekend:
10. Pretty sure this is the only place in North Dakota where you can ride a double-decker bus. For $2, they'll take you on a jaunt to the beautiful Ft. Stevenson State Park.
9. You finally have a reason to pull out that antique brooch you love so much and people will compliment you on your authentic costume.
8. You can just stumble across talented musicians in matching vests like this band in one of the gift shops along the three-block-long Main Street.
7. Where else are you going to find wooden swords for that little boy or girl in your life? Sold by the man who made them, no less.
6. The Garrison thrift shop has one of the most amazing collections of cookie jars I've ever seen.
5. It's the only time I've gone to a play where the entire audience sang Christmas carols beforehand.
4. Did someone say smoked turkey legs?
3. Volunteers wear backpack kegs filled with hot chocolate and happily give you a cup just for asking.
2. You can buy a mickey of peppermint schnapps at the Hometown Tavern and spice up your hot chocolate. Nobody will suspect...
1. Where else do you get to drink tea while wearing hats like this in public?
The Dickens Festival runs this weekend (Dec. 2-3) and the next (Dec. 9-10) in Garrison. Get all the details and buy your play tickets in advance here.