Friday, August 7, 2009

Walleye Tacos

So my new buddy Doug. Kind of a crazy guy. Crazy enough to put a stuttering fool like me on the radio to talk about fish.

I'm always up for a talk about food, and Doug is always up for a talk about fishing, so why not, right? Maybe I'd learn something, especially since the last fish I caught was...well...let's just say we didn't have it mounted on the wall.


And no, in case you're wondering, I don't have weirdly hairy arms and large hands. My dear hubby always baits my hook and takes the fish off. Because he likes that kind of stuff.

So Doug and I had a little chat about the wonders of walleye, and I think it went pretty well, but now that all is said and done, I find myself hesitating to listen to it. It's like hearing my own voicemail message, or watching myself in old home movies - it's always strange, a little embarrassing and I find myself constantly critiquing.

However, if you're curious and want to hear the podcast, click here and push play on August 8 wknd Outdoors Live - Part 4. Actually, listen to all the parts of the broadcast. Doug does a great job getting the word out not only about hunting, but about conservation and enjoying the beauty that is North Dakota. My hat is off to you, Mr. Leier.

If any KFGO listeners stumbled here via the radio show, check out these links for more walleye ideas:

How To Fry Fish
Fish Chowder
Walleye Enchiladas

Y'all come around again soon!

Walleye Tacos
The marinade is your chance to experiment. Like it a little spicy? Add jalapeno. In a hurry? Skip the list of seasonings and just use a couple teaspoons of taco seasoning. Just keep the lime juice as a base. Sauce is adapted from AllRecipes.com. Dieters can skip the batter and just grill the fish, but personally I think it's best pan-fried with a crunchy coating. Because c'mon, everything is better fried.

1 lb. walleye fillets
Kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper
Vegetable oil for frying

Marinade
1 lime, juiced
1 Tbls. olive oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder

Batter
1 cup flour
1 cup beer

Sauce
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayo
1 lime, juiced
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
1 teaspoon minced capers
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

Taco fixings (Corn tortillas, salsa, shredded cabbage, chopped cilantro, chopped tomato, extra lime wedges)

In a small bowl, mix juice of one lime, cumin, chili powder, olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a few grinds of pepper. Place fish in a shallow dish and pour lime juice mixture over it; let sit for at least 15 minutes (or refrigerate in marinade for a couple hours).

Meanwhile, mix up sauce ingredients and set aside.

Mix flour and beer in shallow dish with 1 teaspoon salt. Heat veg oil in a cast iron pan until the oil surface shimmers. Dip the marinated fish in the beer batter, then carefully place fish in hot oil. Fry until golden, a couple minutes on each side. Remove and drain on paper towels.

Assemble tacos and serve with sauce. Excelente!

2 comments:

The Leftoverist said...

YUM!!! I can't listen to the podcast right now (no headphones and Wyatt is studiously reading his comic book next to me), but I'm going to. I want to hear your voice :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, my cousin is a lucky lucky man!
-Danica